Monday, October 4, 2010

Importance of First Impressions

Hi nice to meetcha…… All right, next person. Can you say awkward? First impresssions to me is very important. Whether you like it or not, it occurs all the time. What you see first is someone’s appearance. Besides  that, personality makes the biggest impression because looks can only go so far. You meet someone, whether it’s a classmate so you can make friends, an interviewer so you can get the job you want, a boyfriend/girlfriend’s parents so you can continue your relationship with your guy/gal. Every one has different approaches. I myself have certain criteria I look for.
                When I meet a classmate, I typically look for a friendly tone, great eye contact, a casual conversation like introduction to names, how the day is, how their weekend was, and if interested even further, what they did. I would like the conversation to be reciprocated. I definitely do not want to be the only one asking questions or speaking for that matter. When I answer a question, a reply would be nice to indicate that they understand and are interested in what I have to say. I do not just want a stare. That’s kind of creepy. Talking back and forth gives you a sense of how the rest of the conversation is going to be and if the person you are speaking to may be someone you will have a future with as just a friend or even further.
                An interview. Really? Do I even need to explain? You obviously must be confident and show that you are more than capable of doing the job, but do not seem desperate.

                Meeting a boyfriend/girlfriend’s parents. Uh behave please. Most importantly, be yourself. You don’t want to put up a front every time you see them. That would be painful to you and your boyfriend/girlfriend. Relax and be respectful because that might be the last time you see their parents.

                Like I said, first impressions are very important whether you like it or not, so make good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment